I have terrible news. The greatest show in the history of television, Phineas and Ferb, is coming to an end. TODAY! Today, June 12th, 2015, will see the airing of the final episode of that almighty cartoon, that show that the grown-ups watch when the kids are asleep, that near-perfect panoply of pop-culture perforation. The show is only 8 years old! Isn’t it a little young to be going off the air?! Yes. Yes it is.
One of the best and most consistently impressive parts of the show is, obviously, the music. And there is so much of it! Every episode has some sort of awesome song in it, if not several! And I have scoured the internet, looking at all of the top 10 Phineas & Ferb song lists, determined not to tell you about any of those really good ones! I will not mention “Gitchee Gitchee Goo,” or “S.I.M.P. (Squirrels In My Pants),” because why would I? You already know all about those songs! No, instead I am going to recommend ten songs that deserve a moment in the spotlight, but are too often shunted to the sidelines. Readers, I know what I’m gonna write today!
10) Evil For Extra Credit – I almost feel like this one is cheating, because although I haven’t seen it on any Top 10 lists, I have seen it come in at #11. I’m sure you all know this one, but because it is so amazing, and because it hasn’t technically been on any of the lists I’ve read, here you go.
9) Kitty In a Box – I had to put this on the list, because though it is only about 3 seconds long, it is by far my children’s favorite Phineas and Ferb song, and they sing it all the time. Any time we see a kitty, or a box, or a kitty in anything, or anything in a box, we sing this song.
8) When We Didn’t Get Along – This is a brilliant song because it does what so many of the songs from the show do: it turns convention on its head. Instead of a sad song of yearning for a time when relationships were better, this sad song of yearning wishes for a time when there was more fighting.
7) Happy Evil Love Song – Finally, the evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz finds an evil girlfriend to sing a sweet love song with. How can you not root for him and his evil love?
6) Helicopter Fight – I just love how they spend most of the song explaining that the song is about fighting on a helicopter, and not about two helicopters fighting.
5) My Evil Buddies and Me – There’s nothing like a swingin’ montage featuring the villains of the Marvel Universe hanging out with Dr. Doofenshmirtz, drinking milkshakes, and getting old timey photos taken.
4) Aerial Area Rug – Forget Aladdin, this is how I want to fly!
3) Ducky Momo is My Friend – And now we come to the top three, my absolute favorite P&F songs of all time. As a self-confessed nerd, there can be no greater episode than “Nerds of a Feather,” which features the gang at their version of Comicon. An epic war breaks out between the sci-fi fans and the fantasy fans, but the best part of the episode for me is poor Candace’s devotion to Ducky Momo, and this song, the first P&F song to ever get stuck in my head for weeks on end. And that’s a good thing.
2) When You Levitate – If you don’t watch this 23 times in a row right now, I don’t know what’s wrong with you. What a sweet jam about that everyday activity of levitation.
1) Runnin’ From Love (In a Bear Suit) – Here it is. The top of the top of the bottom. The first P&F song to ever make my Latest 25 playlist, this tune makes a lot of sense in a universal way. It’s something I think that we can all relate to, with or without the bear suit. Thanks for so much fun and fabulous music, Phineas and Ferb! You will be missed. For the first time in a long time, I don’t know what we’re gonna do today.